This is a favorite meal of my family’s. I have made it a few times for other people, and they all ask for the recipe. It’s a super simple meal that is perfect for larger dinner parties or small get togethers because of it’s versatility. There are two ways you can make it, as a casserole, or we like to do it as a make your own dish, by keeping everything separate and letting each person choose how they want theirs.
- 1 1/2 lbs Fresh Broccoli - Steamed and served on the side
- 1 1/2 Cup Raw White or Brown Rice - Cooked to make about 4 cups cooked rice.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
- 2 Tlbs Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 ts. Pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
You will also need to make the curry sauce listed farther down the page to finish making the casserole.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked rice in the bottom of a greased 9×13” casserole dish. Arrange chicken pieces (I dice the chicken into large chunks to serve easier) over the rice.
- In a small sauce pan mix soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder, and warm. Pour over chicken pieces and rice.
- Cover and bake at 375’ for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear (This doesn’t really take long if you have already cooked the chicken, and heated the soup mixture.)
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, Undiluted
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise (Miracle Whip will work, but will be extra creamy)
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp (to taste) Curry Powder
When keeping everything separate, the curry sauce is really the only thing that is different from how you would normally cook the different foods (cooked rice, cooked chicken, steamed broccoli). So I’ve separated the instructions for just the curry sauce here:
- In a small sauce pan mix soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder, and warm. You don’t want it to boil, otherwise it will separate.
- Add curry powder to taste if needed.
- Serve warm.