My notes say that my Mom got this recipe from a friend in Sandy, Utah. Usually when people think about Poppy Seed cakes or muffins, they think add lemon to it. This version is so much better! They kinda taste like the Poppy Seed Muffins from Costco, but more moist and in cake form. I had a roommate at one point that went on a no sugar diet, but she would always make an exception when I made this. We make it in a Bundt cake pan, and serve it for parties, large group refreshments, I’ve made it for a few weddings, potlucks, and more. It really is good for any occasion.
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooking Oil
- 3 Cups Flour
- 2 1/3 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbls Poppy Seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp Butter Flavoring
- 1 1/2 tsp Almond Flavoring (if you add a little extra it's totally ok)
- Preheat oven to 325˚
- Combine flour, sugar, cooking oil, milk and eggs, and mix well.
- Add poppy seeds, vanilla, butter flavoring, and almond flavoring, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Pour into a well greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake at 325˚ for 45-60 minutes until top cracks are just moist, not raw.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, and then invert onto a serving plate and leave pan on top to trap moisture and keep cake moist until ready to serve.
Optional toppings include orange glaze below, or our favorite is just a dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
Serve with Ice Cream or Whipped Cream.
Optional Orange Glaze
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
Mix these together, and drizzle over the top.